Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hanging out while hung over.

I just deactivated my Facebook last night. This is something I've been planning on doing for a while now, but in my drunken early Independence Day celebration at 3am I actually went through with it. A complete Facebook addict (I was checking the site at least 7 times a day) now going cold turkey. I freed myself from the Social Network.

No longer will it matter if I "like" something on a different web site, as there will be no place to say so and no one to see. For the first time in almost five years I won't be able to instantaneously see what most of my friends are up to, or immediately network 90 people for a get-together two months down the road that most will say "Yes" to but only 10 or so will actually show (but it still counts because Facebook said I was there!). I won't be vicariously keeping up with people I don't really know that well. I will genuinely lose touch with people, which is something that both frightens and excites me!

I'd really like to write more on the subject, but I leave for work in an hour and really must shower and make myself presentable. To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment