Tuesday, July 5, 2011

They call it a "long lunch," I call it "not getting paid"

I'm sitting in my place of work's massive break room, trying to figure out what to do with myself. Normally at this hour I'd be listening to screaming customers, trying to discern what exactly they wanted and whether or not I could do it for them. Instead, I was asked to take a "long lunch" from 5:30 until 8 due to a low call volume, with the last hour being a goodbye potluck for our Team Leader/Boss figure. I understand a company's need to cut costs and save money in order to remain competitive in the high-stakes world of 21st century Global Capitalism, but does it always have to come from your workers paychecks? Really.

Ah, but I suppose I shouldn't be complaining. I'm getting free food out of the deal, and they have internet access to pass the time with as well as a giant TV to watch. Maybe they figure if they give us enough things to keep us distracted, we'll forget about the fact that we're inside this giant building and not getting paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment